Sunday, August 2, 2009

You calling me dumb?

The other night I watched Angels & Demons. I know, I know the Da Vinci Code b.s. is way over hyped, but it is Ron Howard and Tom Hanks. How bad could it be? Ahem. Wow.

There's little more frustrating in a movie than being spoon-fed information. That, Here. Have a nice mouth full of "this is what I mean", mentality just kills me. I get the fact that your everyday, run of the mill, TV sitcom, CSI bullshit is written for the lowest common denominator of society, (which is usually found in Kansas, West Virginia, and or Indiana), but for a major feature film, one that has a premise geared toward scholars, thinkers and conspiracy theorists, not giving your viewership the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the simplest references just becomes insulting. Hanks, though you'd think he'd catch it as a seasoned actor, virtually turns to camera to explain various vocabulary words that another character spits out in moments of exposition. From the screenwriter, to the director, producers, actors and editor, you'd expect that one of them would say, "We can cut that. They get it.". From what I can recall this happens several times throughout the piece and each time it stands out as bold as a slap in the face.

To all those filmmakers, directors, screenwriters and more than likely you asshole bankers ("producers") at the studios who give these notes to cram it down our gullets, remember this: You're demographic, meaning the population for whom you've marketed your film, is smarter than you. Cut it out!

~P

No comments:

Post a Comment